Monday, June 16, 2008

Arriving in Crete - Hania to Sfakia

I left Athens early in the morning and made it to the island of Crete by 10:30 am, stopping in Hania (Chania on English maps). I rushed out and caught a taxi immediately as I had to make it across the island to the south to a place called Sfakia in time to catch a ferry.




My taxi driver was an energetic sort, and wasted no time on the hour and a half ride. He asked if I minded if he drove fast and I said no.

The road was a crazy, twisty, switchback kind of thing up and down mountain sides, and at one stretch there was construction, which we had to slow down for.

My first glimpse of Crete went by in a flash, although he did stop a couple of times so that I could take photographs that weren't on the move.























































We duly made it to the wharf in time for me to catch my ferry.




No comments: