Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Going to Haworth

Getting to Haworth from the Cotswolds, required several trains and buses, and of course my stop in Leicester. The country map gives you an idea of the distances I was travelling. From Cheltenham, I changed trains at Birmingham and then got to Leicester.

The farther I travelled north by bus, the more sparse the trees, the longer and deeper the hills, and the darker the buildings became. I suspected the buildings with their blackened bricks were the result of coal and other industries in the area, along with bleak rainy weather over time, though I’ve not officially heard this. The contrast from the Cotswolds is striking and although there is a certain appeal to the time-honoured past in these quaint villages, they lack the same welcoming charm of their neighbours to the southwest. It seems chillier here too, though this may simply be a surge of weather experienced in other places as well.



There are many other things to see and do in the village of Haworth, which today has an incredibly active community. Besides the historic sites, there are walks over the moors, steam engine rides and rail museums, plus other special museums and famous houses to inspect, along with local activities that draw everyone in. Although my time was short, it was good to see, and if I were a Brontë scholar, the perfect place to come and study them.

One short day was enough for me, and I am off again tomorrow to head farther north in search of that elusive great place to stay for a couple of days, where I can have an Internet connection and a place to catch up on my blogging.

Their austere surroundings, including their Georgian style home, would certainly have encouraged finding and using their imaginations, as there was so little outside enjoyment and nothing much for them to do outside of the basics in their isolated location. Reading, needlework, housework, school studies, and teaching when they were older were their simple pastimes. It’s probably no accident then that they turned to writing and art; becoming proficient in these skills to varying degrees. All, including their father were published authors, though Charlotte and Emily are more well-known









No comments: