Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Berwick on Tweed - Arrival and Day One

I arrived in Berwick (pronounced bare-ick) about mid-afternoon and walked from the train station to the centre of the old town, passing through the massive gate of the stone wall that surrounded it, until I came to the tourist information centre.

There I managed to secure a room for the night, so I walked there and dropped off my luggage.
The Clovelly B&B, as it was called was located halfway down a steep hill and I had visions of my wheeled luggage getting away and me chasing it down the street until it ended in the river. Alas, this didn't happen. I had a lovely room and the people who owned it were very welcoming. They also had a smashing good choice of food at breakfast time with plenty of fruit, juices, cereals, yogurt, and cooked breakfasts. I loved staying here, but they didn't have space for me the second night.

They did have an Internet connection, but in my room it was fairly weak, so I worked on the main floor in the entrance way, which was fine.

Mostly though, I explored the town, and found an old fashioned pub to have lunch in. I ate there most days as the people were wonderful and the food was good, though the portions were huge. I often enjoy the shrimp sandwiches that one can get in the UK, and my lunch the first day was just that, though I couldn't possibly eat it all.

I walked it off, by heading to one of the major bridges and going down to the river.



Berwick-upon-Tweed's position on the north bank of the River Tweed, long held to be the nominal border between the two countries, led to the town changing hands no fewer than 14 times in the two centuries up to 1482.











No comments: