Saturday, May 24, 2008

Arriving in Leicester








I arrived in Leicester (pronounced Lester) by rail about noon and with a little assistance from someone behind a counter who happened to have a city map, we deciphered that my accommodations were only a few blocks away. I decided to walk, rather than pay for a cab, so I trundled my luggage behind me. I’d barely placed my suitcase in the door, when a friend of the Spindle Lodge property owner offered to guide me to the bus stop where I could catch the one I needed to get to Bradgate Country Park….the reason I was in the area in the first place.

This ‘helpful’ woman only seemed to know the long way around (even I knew the short cut from having gone to the lodge myself) and as a result we took many extra blocks and she had me more confused than I needed to be. Nevertheless, we passed by an Internet CafĂ© which I hoped to use on my return.

Unfortunately, this woman put me on the wrong bus too (#94), but luckily, someone on the bus overheard my discussion with the bus driver about where to get off, and I managed to hop off that bus and get onto a better one (#52) that would take me closer to this special Park. Little did I know how big the park was (over 840 acres) or that the bus didn’t actually stop that close to it.

No comments: